Thursday 20 November 2008

Grown-up stuff

I had a long chat with a neighbour yesterday about a book he is writing. I didn't know until then that he was writing one but it sounds brilliant, exactly the kind of book I would choose to read myself. Talking to him I realised 2 things:
1) The way he described it was so intriguing and funny, he 'sold' it to me. I envied him that clarity. I am always so vague when I'm describing my writing and I really have to work on that.
2) I do know what I want from my writing, because I articulated it to him: I want to make children laugh!
I don't think there is anything like having a good laugh. I laugh out loud at Louise Rennison's books. There is no way on earth that I am in the same league as her, but I would so love it if I could inspire that kind of response in a reader.
I have a friend - and Jennie, you know who you are - who makes me laugh like a drain (which is not very attractive, believe me!) She has always made me laugh; I remember trying to stifle snorts at school in lessons. There's nothing like that feeling is there? And I think one of the tragedies of being 'grown up' is that we sometimes forget what that feels like.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Do I get royalties for making you laugh? And If I do it in my nuddy pants do they go up? (the fees not the pants). xxx

Fiona said...

Crikey Jennie are you really going to do it in your nuddy pants? I will certainly double your normal royalties if you do! xxx

Jennie said...

Now you're talking! x