Tuesday 26 May 2009

Teenagers!

I'm afraid I'm all out of synch (again). I've got photos of the Chelsea Flower Show which I keep meaning to upload but for reasons beyond my control (i.e.they're on Robert's iPhone) I haven't managed it yet!

So instead of gardens let's talk about those delicate little blossoms - teenagers. I for one love them: I love their passion, their belief that anything is possible, their (for the large part) fiercely funny sense of humour. And I think if the future is in their hands, we're going to be OK.

I know that I'm talking from a standpoint of not actually having a teenager of my own, and if I did have one, well I'm sure I might be telling you something very different. Yes they can be loud and cruel and do stupid things - but can't we all?

It was heartening to read last week about the Make Your Mark with a Tenner campaign funded by Nesta (the National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts seeing as you ask), Dragon's Den person Peter Jones and the founders of Bebo, Michael and Xochi Birch. Teenagers who enrolled for the scheme were each given £10 with the brief to set up a company which not only made money but which also had 'genuine social impact'.

Now if the 'Daily Mail' is to be believed you would expect them to nip down the shops and start slugging back WKDs with the dosh, but in fact 16,000 teenagers took part, making an average of £42 profit with their cash and so far 90% have repaid their original investment. And, hearteningly, most of them have chosen to make a donation to charity out of the remaining profits.

Companies ranged from ones creating cookery books to ones selling fruit to City businesses. The individual winner with a profit of £736.77 rented a 1920s bathing suit and organised (and modelled in) a period fashion show.

Many participants commented on how much they had enjoyed being in charge of their own business and now plan to do the same in future.

If, as I keep hearing, it is true that entrepreneurs can lead us out of recession, then my tenner might just be on those teenage ones!

No comments: